Saturday, July 30, 2011

so far, so good

Maybe its a placebo effect, maybe just part of the usual ebb and flow of my condition (who knows) but I do think I am feeling improved. I had more energy today than I had last weekend. Of course, not bouncing off the walls energetic, but I spent the day running errands, tidying up, laundering and cleaning and I didn't need too many breaks. Last weekend, I could barely get myself off the bed. I feel less like my limbs are wet dishrags and I am having less joint pain.

I am also just really enjoying what I am eating. As I already mentioned, I am not on a "strict" paleo plan just yet. So, there is a lot of variety. In fact, I feel like I am eating a lot of food, I am eating until I am full and loving what I am eating. Before this, I was usually always hungry and trying not to eat. What I am doing requires prep, but once I have enough of the right foods around me and a plan for dinner in place, it actually seems less work than my former laissez-faire approach to meals.

Yesterday, for breakfast I had leftover salmon, with spinach, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, an egg, etc... sauteed. It was delicious and filling. (Not something I would crave, but very satisfying once I am eating it.) Lunch was leftover pork and some leftover broccoli soup. Dinner was broiled rockfish and yellow squash (grilled with olive oil.) I was satisfied and full throughout the day. We went to a concert last night (a very rare occurrence, since having kids) and I had a glass of wine and a martini. That was quite decadent, and not very paleo I know, but it sure was fun.

Today for breakfast I had an amazing smoothie. I made it with frozen raspberries (organic, of course), coconut milk, spinach and a banana. It was really delicious and I couldn't even finish it all. For lunch, I bought some ready-made food from whole foods because I was out running errands. I had rosemary chicken, sauteed acorn squash, green beans and cabbage. For dinner, I grilled chicken breasts (pounded and marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, rosemary and garlic.) I also made Loren Cordain's mashed Cauliflower/Squash recipe, because I liked it so much the other day. Today, it kind of reminded me a bit of baby food though. I think I blended a little too much. It was still really good though (I kind of always liked baby food!) I also roasted a variety of beets and had a dessert of blackberries with cashews, almonds and brazil nuts.

I am getting so much fruit and vegetable nourishment in my diet now and it feels really good. I always did, but its really been bumped way up. I am never hungry and I am eating a lot. I am enjoying this way of eating a lot. I also feel like I am wasting WAY less food. I use all of the leftover for breakfast. Leftovers got thrown out a lot before. Also, other family members are eating this food that I am making for me and it is getting a lot more fruit and vegetables into their bodies.

So far, so good! (maybe I'll be able to get back into regular exercise at this rate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment