Thursday, July 28, 2011

Intro

I was diagnosed with lupus (SLE) when I was 15 years old. I had already been quite sick and visiting doctor after doctor, trying to figure out what was wrong with me, for a long time. I have subsequently been told I have fibromyalgia, Hashimoto's, etc... whatever, my body just doesn't function properly. I have spent most of life trying every "alternative", "conventional", "crazy", "food/fitness related" means of coping with my assorted health problems. Fitness and nutrition have always been a kind of obsession and I have always been convinced that somehow diet is the key to figuring out how to manage my health. I have taken so much time that I wish I had been spending on other pursuits, reading about nutrition, fitness, health, etc...

I have tried vegetarian, vegan, raw food (including a radical foray into raw meat, a la Aajonus Vonderplanitz), juice-fasting, master cleanser, zone, gluten/dairy free, blah, blah, blah, blah... Usually ending up somewhere in the high-protein/low-carb arena, because it seems to be where I function best. During times when I am on a physical upswing (though never feeling particularly energetic or "good") or when I am trying something to see if it helps, I have finished a couple of triathlons, many century rides, an AIDs ride, a pilates certification, a year of daily 5am bikram yoga classes, etc... Exercise, when I can do it, makes me feel better and helps my pain, so I have at times been quite obsessive...

Five years ago, I got pregnant with my first child. After my son was born, he had such horrendous colic that I turned to diet again as a solution and cut out all wheat, dairy, cruciferous vegetables, citrus, soy etc.. I was mostly living on meat, vegetables, fruit, rice, beans and oats. I also drank no alchohol, because I was nursing. I felt OK during this time and thought I had finally found a way to have carbs in my life. My daughter was born two years later. I didn't need to regulate my diet for her and so was just trying to eat "healthy and normal." I was feeling kind of crappy and also not losing about 20 extra pounds of nagging baby weight (and I was not happy about that part.) I went gluten-free, thinking that was the reason I felt OK after having my son. I started to feel even worse (I think it was because I got really creative with all of the other grain/bean options.) Totally fed up with feeling awful, constantly trying "diet (food plan)" after "diet" I even tried to emulate a friend's experiment with being "French Skinny." Unfortunately chocolate croissants, baguettes and brie were definitely not my savior (damn it- why can't it be so!)

Lately, I have just been feeling worse than ever, with nearly weekly sinus infections, regular bronchitis, joint pain everywhere and problems with my left knee if I try to run or bike. I am not doing any exercise, because I am so tired and sore and I seem to get a sinus infection (fever, chills, sore throat, etc)... everytime I exert myself. I am trying to get work done (painting or music) and all I can really accomplish in the day is barely being a taxi-service and cook for my two kids (I wouldn't call it parenting, because I am so tired that I don't have the energy to be the parent I want to be.) This has been escalating for the last two years.

So this last weekend, I was lying on the bed (mid-day) after putting on a movie for my 3-year old (again, not the type of parent I want to be) and I started yet again to research nutrition and lupus. I decided to google "grain-free diet and lupus." I came across a reference to research by Dr. Jean Seignalet and his study of paleo diets in people with automimmune disorders. I read some blogs about lupus and/or paleo diets and was really fascinated by what I read. Quickly, I downloaded Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet to the Kindle app on my phone. I feel like I have been dancing around this answer, slowly circling my way in for my entire life. I am quite convinced this might be just the thing. So, here I am, attempting a "new" (old) way of eating, yet again. Still hopeful that I can gain some control over this condition through what I eat. I am blogging about it because, well, I enjoyed reading other people's blogs and it seems kind of fun. Also, if it does help, I would like to chronicle the progression. Here goes.....


No comments:

Post a Comment