Wednesday, August 17, 2011

This omnivore has a dilemma

I think I have mentioned this before, but this little trial of mine is not an easy one for me. Not because I have not spent most of my life trying all sorts of ridiculous and extreme eating regimes, but probably because of this fact. (How was that for an artful double negative!?)

I am totally over food restrictions! I don't have a problem with cutting back, eating less, eating wisely, eating healthfully, but I have a grave difficulty with the idea of eliminating things from my diet (not of course, things like pesticides, artificial food coloring, high fructose corn syrup and the like). I have finally come to a place in my life where I am pretty content in my skin. Of course, I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds but only if the process of doing so is comfortable and in line with my lifestyle, otherwise I'm fine the way I am. I believe in quality over quantity, good food, moderation in all things, blah, blah, blah. So, to have it suggested that whole groups of food like "cereal grains", "dairy", "alchohol" (yes, that is a food group in my mind!) etc... could be the culprit in these health problems that I have always faced is really difficult for me to swallow. Man, I have just finally gotten somewhat sane about food!!!!!

It has been even more than just conceptually difficult for me in the last week. I had surgery on my sinuses exactly one week ago today. I had assumed it would be a pretty minor ordeal, but recovery has NOT been easy. (How the hell do people get addicted to plastic surgery???? Surgery BLOWS!!!) It has been a week now and I still feel wretched. The headaches and intense nausea have only started to slightly lift today. I am still dizzy and exhausted. With constant nausea, fare like pork chops and green beans is just completely unappetizing. Nothing on my "extreme-strict-autoimmune-paleo OK list" sounds ok to me.

So, I have been allowing myself what I consider a "gateway" food- potatoes. I am Irish. I like potatoes. A LOT! When I feel sick, they are the only thing I can conceive of eating. When I was pregnant (and nauseous) with my son, I only wanted mashed potatoes. With my daughter, I only ate stew that was mostly potatoes. With this nausea all I wanted was broth and potatoes. And so it has been.

Though, I am certainly convinced there could be merit to this paleo theory of autoimmune issues and I am a proven champ at crazy eating regimes, I feel reluctant to commit to an austere "universal" approach to this way of eating. I see myself as a "generalist." What I do generally doesn't have to be universal. What I eat most of the time doesn't have to dictate my always. I am being pretty fastidious about grains, dairy and alchohol, but I am not completely convinced of the problem with potatoes, rice, beans. I might need to do a little more research for a good argument. (I don't like to participate in arguments, but I like to read them!)

I am also not saying I will never consume grains, dairy or alchohol again. (another double-negative!) Faced with something fabulous, I will indulge. But, for the day-to-day of sustenance, its not that hard to steer my eating in a certain direction.

So, when I saw my surgeon yesterday for my post-op appointment, he indicated that the dire state of my membranes was caused by problems with inflammation. Here was I thinking all along that the sinus infections were causing problems with my lupus. It hadn't occurred to me that my lupus was likely responsible for my sinus issues (among other things.) Inflammation is the key word here folks, when we are talking about autoimmunity. Inflammation is what the paleo experts claim we can avoid through this way of eating. So, I remain resolute in my trial yet aiming for a modicum of balance in my extreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment